Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Baby steps - Week 15 - Session 1 - 5.6 km

At last, I managed to put one foot in front of the other. It's the first baby steps back into running. I gained some inspiration during my recuperation from Dean Karnazes account of running 50 marathons in 50 days. In his book he talks about taking baby steps when confronted by seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Just put one foot in front of the other. At this stage I'm not sure if I will front up to the marathon or not. I'm just glad to be running.

Not surprisingly my pace was turtle like and my heart rate higher than it was two weeks ago. But this is to be expected. I'll continue to monitor my HR as a gague of how I'm recovering.

Having missed 2 1/2 weeks of running I've reset my goal to finish the marathon using a run/walk strategy. The Melbourne Marathon has a generous 7 hour cutoff time. This week I'm going to run on three days with the longest run on Sunday of 8 miles.


The pattern is to run 4min/Walk 1min midweek and run 5min/Walk 1 min for the long runs. Depending on how I recover this week, I will run 20miles on on Sunday 18/9/11 using the run walk method. If I can mange that, then I will front up to the marathon on October 9.

If I can't, then at least I've given myself a chance today.

Route: Cruickshank Park
Actual Distance - 5.61 km
Time - 0.50:01
Pace - 8:54
HR/&/Zone: 130/67%/1.8
RPE: 4
Temp:  17C
Total for week: 5.61 km
Cumulative Total: 415.91 km

No comments:

Post a Comment