Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Best laid plans - Week 13 - Session 3 - 0km

Still laid low with the flu, if anything I'm feeling worse today than at any other time this week. It's been a week now since my last run, the way I'm feeling now it's hard to see me getting back by the weekend. I've begun drawing up contingency plans if I am unable to get back running by Wednesday next week.

Here are my alternatives:

Option 1 -  begin running on Wednesday (Week 14) but cut mileage back by 50% for a week and then Week 15 midweek runs at 75% but attempt the peak 32km at 100%.

Option 2 - If I am unable to complete the peak run then I will consider attempting the same distance in week 16 with only a two week taper and hope for the best come marathon day.

Option 3 - Alternatively I will err on the side of caution, keep my powder dry and consider one of the following upcoming alternate marathons: 

- 30 October 2011 - Portland 3-Bays Portland, Portland, Victoria - Pros - Only 3 weeks after Melbourne Marathon. Cons - Hilly course about 4hours drive from Melbourne.
- 27 November 2011 - Marysville Marathon, Marysville, Victoria - Pros - Only 100km from Melbourne. Cons - Getting late in the year could be hot (30c+ degrees in 2009)
- 8 January 2012 - Cadbury Marathon, Hobart, Tasmania - Pros - Would allow me to recover completely and build up again slowly. Cons - Would involve a weekend away in Tassie, can I keep myself motivated for a second crack so far down the track?

No comments:

Post a Comment