Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back in the saddle - Week 15 - Session 3 - 21km

After this weeks tentative forays back in to running, the real gauge of whether I will make it to the starting line on 9 October hinged on how well I handled yesterday's long run of 21km. After a breakfast of porridge and a cup of coffee I set out for the Maribrynong River at 9am. I was carrying two water bottles, one with Endura, and three energy gels for the anticipated 2 1/2 hours that I would be gone. Using the 3:1 ratio, I calculated that thirty-five intervals plus five minutes warm up and cool down would get me there and back.

It felt good to be venturing out once more into the unknown - would I make it? would I get injured? would I recover? The temperature was about 21C with a high cloud cover and slight breeze. It didn't take long to settle into a rhythm. I was concerned that that the beeping from the watch to make each interval would be annoying. But instead I found the reminder reassuring and allowed me to concentrate on the running and enjoy the constantly changing river scenery glide past.

At the turnaround point near the bridge at Riverside Park I was still feeling strong. Beyond this point lay the trail to Canning Reserve the turnaround point for next weeks 32km run. The return trip settled into a similar rhythm and at no stage did I feel as I'd pushed myself to far.

Route: Maribynong River
Actual Distance - 21 km
Time - 2:29:20
Pace - 7:17 min/km
HR/&/Zone: 141/73%/2.4
RPE: 5
Temp:  21C
Total for week: 33.8 km
Cumulative Total: 444.1 km

No comments:

Post a Comment