Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

This is getting serious - Week 14 - Sesion 3 -0km

It's been two weeks now since my last Friday run in Week 12. Despite all my best efforts and medications I can't shake the asthmatic bronchitis that's been laying me low. I'm hoping now for a miracle as the marathon is now only four weeks away. If I can't get back on the road by Sunday then I'm going to have to seriously look for an alternative. I'm hoping to at least get out for a walk this afternoon just to keep moving.

I've done a lot of research on the Web regarding recovery from bronchitis and the marathon. The best I've come across is this article from Running Times Magaizine:

Fight or flight  

"McMillan points out, however, that in the case of layoffs during the last 3-6 weeks of training, a normal taper is not optimal. "The body/mind needs to remember what it is like to be a runner. In this case, I have the athlete maintain the normal training rhythm, reducing the long run seven days prior but only significantly cutting back on the volume the last 3-4 days before the race.""

I figure that with the two weeks I've had off and based on McMillan's advice above,  my muscles will have recovered so that a normal taper will not be required.  

Based on the article my current plan is this:

Sunday 11 September - Run (3-5km - anything)
Sunday 18 September - 16km
Sunday 25 September - 21km (Sri Chinmoy Yarra Boulevard 1/2 Marathon)
Saturday 2 October - 30km (eight days out - make or break)
Sunday 9 October - Marathon

I've also taken inspiration from LBTEPA's blog:

Now the plan is this...

No comments:

Post a Comment