Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

First milestone completed - Week 5 - Session 4 - 16km Long Run

Today marked a my first significant training milestone. Besides marking the old imperial 10miler, I've never run 16km before. I felt a quiet sense of excitement about this weekend's run all week in anticipation. Despite the blustery conditions the run went extremely well. As Hal suggested I picked up the pace in the last mile to see how I felt. I'm pleased to report that I had no problem sustaining an average pace of 5:46 over the last mile and finished feeling strong.

Part of my success can be attributed to the attention I paid to my hydration and nutrition today. I started the day with 250ml of Endura magnesium rehydration drink and followed this up with a bowl of porridge. Thirty minutes before the run I took another dose of Endura and at fifteen minutes an energy gel. But the key to my success was carrying a 300ml bottle of Endura and a 300ml bottle of water in my new Nathan Speed 2 fuel belt.

With the belt I was able to hydrate every 20minutes and fill up at drinking fountains along the river. This freed me from relying on the fountains for hydration that are not always located at the right interval. Along the way I alternated Endura with water and took gels at 40minutes and 80 minutes. This regime meant that I was also taking regular walking breaks every 3km without having to stop at the fountains every time to drink.

As far as the performance of the belt itself is concerned I can report that it exceeded my expectations. Ergonomically it was a perfect fit and most importantly I was hardly aware of wearing it. Besides carrying my drinks and gels I was also able to carry my mobile and car keys.

I also called on the visualisation and positive thinking techniques I've picked up in the Non-Runner Marathon Guide. My favourite visualization whenever negative thoughts intrude is running around the MCG at the end of the Marathon and hoisting my eighteen month old son on to my shoulders. any doubts or feelings of fatigue just melt away.

Next week is a step back week where I will run 10km at the Run Melbourne event on Sunday.

Route: Maribynong River
Actual Distance - 16.01 km
Time - 1.47:30
Pace - 6:42
HR/&/Zone: 150/78%/3.1
RPE: 5
Temp: 12C
Total for week: 34.03km
Cumulative Total: 137.04 km

No comments:

Post a Comment