Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sri Chinmoy Princes Park - Week 8 - Session 4 - 21.1km Long Run

I ran my first half marathon this weekend at the Sri Chinmoy Princes Park race on Sunday. It was a beautiful morning with the first sign of spring in the air. Four laps of Princes Park for 20km and another 1.1km added on for the half. I wanted to treat this as a training run and resist the urge to run it to hard feeling like there was something left in the tank.

Although my pace was slightly higher than I'd anticipated I still managed to keep my HR within zone 2 at an average of 75%. I finished feeling that it was at least conceivable that I could of run another 11km which would equate to the longest run in September. I figured if I felt I could do that in August, then by September adding another 10km on to the 32km would make the marathon possible in October.

Along the way I practiced the mental techniques from "The Non-Runners Marathon Training Guide" including visualisations of finishing the marathon and chanting positive affirmations. To help me focus and relax I visualised the colours of my chakras spinning as a form of meditation while running. To give me energy I focused on breathing in the Qi from the heaven and feeling the energy flowing up legs from the ground.

It was another great event organised by the Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team with a friendly atmosphere and pancakes and maple syrup to finish up with. 

Next week is a step back week with an easy 16km on the weekend - I never thought I 'd say that about running 10 miles.

Route: Princes Park
Actual Distance - 21.43 km
Time - 2.16:50
Pace - 6:23
HR/&/Zone: 145/75%/2.8
RPE: 5
Temp: 14C
Total for week: 40.74 km
Cumulative Total: 241.42 km

No comments:

Post a Comment