Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Week 11 – Session 2 –12.9km Midweek Run


An increase in mileage and an early start (5:48am) for this week’s midweek run. Up until last weekend’s 15-mile run, I have been recovering well between runs eg. little or no residual leg soreness between runs using the following regime after long runs:

1. Cool down for five - 10 minutes at fast walking pace/gentle jog after run.
2. Stretching: Quads, Calves, Hamstrings, Hip flexors, Hamstrings.
3. Carbohydrate/Protein shake (ratio 4:1)
4. Ice Bath 10mins, followed by hot shower.
5. Don recovery compression tights for the rest of day and overnight.
6. Short walk in the afternoon 20-30 minutes.
7. Hot bath with Epsom salts in the evening.

My long runs are on a mixture of soft (40%) and hard (60%) surfaces with a small hill at mile 2 and thereafter flat all the way home.

During the runs, I take regular walking breaks (every 2-3miles) to drink water/sports drink and a gel every 45minutes and keep the pace down so that my HR is between 65-75%.

I cross train the day after long run by combining walking (30mins) with swimming (30mins).

48hours after this weeks long run I have a sports massage.

Despite the above, I found that I carried moderate quadriceps soreness over into the first 6.4km run and into the 12.9 km run today.

Route: Maribyrnong River
Actual Distance –12.9 km
Time – 1:28:00
Pace - 6:49
HR/&/Zone:  124/64%/1.1
RPE: 4
Temp: 8C
Total for week:  19.3 km
Cumulative Total:  352.13 km

No comments:

Post a Comment