Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The beginning of the end - Session #1 Recovery Run 5km, Strength Training

Today was the first workout day of Hal Higdon's 18 week marathon training program - Novice 1. Monday was actually the first day of the program, but Monday's are always a rest day. Today's run was much like any other Tuesday run for me, a 5km recovery run after a the weekends long run. The difference being that up until now all my training has been a build up to the beginning of this program.

As I was pushed for time at work and at home, I ran on a treadmill at a gym in downtown Melbourne. I followed the run by 20 minutes of strength training including single leg hip raises for strengthening my hip flexors and glutes, pushups and a torture session on the foam roller.

Even though the session was exactly the same as last week and indeed this weeks program is the same as last week (Mon Rest, Tue 5km, Wed 5km, Thur 5km, Fri Rest, Sa 10km, Sun 60mins X-Train) the excitement of having begun the training program meant the treadmill didn't seem so monotonous and the weights somehow seemed lighter.

If last week was the end of the beginning of my marathon training, today marks the beginning of the end.

Route: Treadmill
Actual Distance - 5.02 km
Time - 0.34:12
Pace - 6:49
HR/&/Zone: 150/78%/2-3
RPE: 4
Temp: N/A
Total for week: 5km
Cumulative Total: 5km

No comments:

Post a Comment