Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Taking it easy - Session #3 Recovery Run 5km, Strength Training

The third and final midweek session for Week 1 was another 5km on the treadmill. I was conscious of taking this run easy as it is meant to be a recovery run. I find the treadmill raises my heart rate higher for the same pace than running outside. These midweek runs should be done at a heart rate between 60-70% (Zone 1 - 2). After my run on Tuesday I noticed that my average heart rate was nudging up toward 78% (Zone 2-3). Way too much effort for a recovery run. I may have been guilty of trying to minimise the time I had to be on the treadmill. This morning I nudged the pace back, relaxed and concentrated on keeping the heart rate on the margin between 1 and 2.

Another measure of effort is the Rating of Perceived Exertion (RPE) with 0 being resting and 10 maximal effort. I was aiming today for an RPE of 3 - "Moderate effort" (Zone 1/2) as opposed to 4 (2/3) which equates to "Somewhat hard effort."

Tomorrow is a rest day before the first long run of 10km on Saturday and X-Training on Sunday.

Route: Treadmill
Actual Distance - 5km
Time - 0.34:26
Pace - 7:10
HR/&/Zone: 138/60%/2
RPE: 3
Temp: N/A
Total for week: 15km
Cumulative Total: 15km

No comments:

Post a Comment